Monday, August 8, 2011

back to BLACK (the LBD) : look 2

So, where were we? Ah, yes, Look 2. Me in my closet, rummaging about, fighting with my internal wallflower who was hesitating in showing off her figure--in fact, my inner id is always yelling at me about being too overtly sexy and maintaining that fine balance of fashion versus sensuality. She's often concerned how we'll get from my apartment to the train station in one piece. This time I had to just quiet her down.


I mean truthfully, I believe there is a decision that every stylish woman has to make for herself at any given turn of any given ensemble: whether she will be dressing for fashion (albeit herself and other women) or for the viewing pleasure of men. Will she be drumming up a complex silhouette or flaunting her best assets in the most obvious of ways? Is she dressing for the trained eye or the one that continues to gawk? But even more, can she do both?

It's an old wives tale that such a vortex of style and sensuality can meet up in one look, mingle, and get along swimmingly. On a random off-shoot, I've been able to achieve both, but it takes a little finesse.


Take my Alexander Wang LBD here for example: it's a wardrobe essential for a reason. Slip it on and blushes quickly follow. The ribbed nature of the fabric and it's laser cutting leave very little to the imagination, so to control the piece I take power vinyasa classes and add a serious boot. Even though my Rick Owens "creepers" are a touch awkward, I feel the boot helps ground the dress in its innate edge and makes me the height I was always supposed to be: at least 5'10".


Coupled with this otherwise slinky dress, the boots also pose an unexpected twist against a natural choice of say, a pump--still evoking a sexiness, nonetheless. You get a whiff of my S curves, but you don't get 'em all. It reveals and hides all the same.


Now the piece is great on its own, but layering it can guide the look to an even less obvious place. A moto jacket, an oversized sweater, or a drapey cardigan can offer what stylists like to call, "texture"--which in laymen terms just means "depth." By throwing on my leather vest with this piece, I'm telling a cohesive story: the look is offering up different elements, and ultimately working to redefine what can be considered sexy.

I think that's a look both myself and my inner id can finally agree upon.


Photographs courtesy of Cleon Grey of Aveder Outfit


Dress by Alexander Wang
Boots by Rick Owens
Vest by TopShop

2 comments:

  1. Admittedly biased.
    Admittedly blissful.
    Admittedly proud.
    Unabashedly Marjon.

    Love.
    Love.
    Love.

    You.

    Love,
    Jo-Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you ARE biased, but i'll take the LOVE!! thank you big bro! tell your friends...

    ReplyDelete