Friday, July 15, 2011

how DOES she do it?!


...With two nannies and a team of 20?!?

In it's recent August issue, Vogue asks this rhetorical question, ignoring the obvi, and instead positioning its ubiquitous cover girl, Ms. Sarah Jessica Parker, as the modern woman who does it all and has it all. Cue the side eye!

Perhaps its my latent resentment from the misleading and culturally insensitive flop that was "Sex and the City 2" boiling to the surface, but I simply don't buy SJP as a modern hausfrau.


Ms. Parker is a celebrity, a mega-brand, if you will, and subsists operationally. She has an organized team working for her that takes care of the innocuous minutia of the day to afford her the ability to walk her son to school and change her twin daughters' diapers. It's one of the luxuries afforded to her by fame...and one most women cannot afford.


Now, I'm not knocking Ms. Parker for this privilege, because heaven knows I would love a nanny once I start a brood of my own, but it's a bit disingenuous of a persona to construe...kinda' like Carrie Bradshaw's livelihood in the latter seasons.

I mean, if we really want to discuss modern femininity, we should really be talking about how we all work to keep it balanced--in very, very high heels no less--without breaking down emotionally every five minutes and buying/eating/or dating something or someone we needn't.



And by the way, can Vogue work even harder to construe "modern femininity" through a new cover girl? I have heard SJP's story like thrice over now, and I get it: she's quirky, self-effacing, yet glamorous. She's the salt of the earth and can move trends globally. Blah, blah, blah, I'm bored and can't relate.

I mean, what's Diane Kruger, Julia Sarr-Jamois, Shala Monroque, Kerry Washington, or Chloe Sevigny doing that couldn't be cancelled for a Vogue cover shoot!?

Probably not much and I guarantee you you wouldn't brush a cover off with any of these women like I am this August issue. Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment