Thursday, July 7, 2011

what's the T?



A t-shirt is simply not a t-shirt these days, at least not in my wardrobe.

A perfectly crafted pullover can complete my life, let alone an ensemble, so I often don't skimp on this essential layering piece. I look for delicacy (thin as h*ll), texture (pilling is perhaps the swan song for a tee), and length (proportions are key), as I like them to affect an air of ease, comfort, and effortless style.



I turn to the greats, of course--Isabel Marant, Rick Owens, Acne, Kain...T by Alexander Wang-- for such a purchase, never risking a misstep. I mean, these designers are indeed the purveyors of all things disaffected and cool, so they clearly understand my demands: Alexander Wang perhaps the most.



A downtown boy through and through, Wang has expanded his line of threadbare titty tanks and the like into a full diffusion line where in that the styles become easy wardrobe staples. Sexy and modern cotton tank dresses, graceful and artfully designed maxi dresses, slouchy tees, and such are in heavy rotation--easily weaving in with my other pieces--so much so I often wonder if this secondary line of his has beaten his original line at its own game?




He also has a knack for tapping the best muses in the biz as his faces for the line: Zoe Kravitz, Diplo, Ashley Smith...and now Santigold and Spankrock. Wise decision.



Alexander Wang is an astute businessman, knowing his clientele and target audience all too well, as he often parties with them (Zoe Kravitz, the Olsens, Erin Wasson), gleaning style-intel off of them by osmosis. So it only makes sense to select equally creative tastemakers to hawk the line: tastemakers who connect the tastes of your consumer back to your line, in turn crafting a lifestyle.

So, like I was saying before: a t-shirt is simply not a t-shirt, but perhaps a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment