Tuesday, July 19, 2011

oh NA NA!



Those close to me will remember the days when I could out "Stan" the best of 'em for my girl, Rihanna. I shorn my locks, stalked (and defended) the girl's every fashion move, and all but took on a Caribbean lilt and a**hole of a bf to emulate the young songstress.

It was real.


But I grew up, grew a better sense of myself and my own personal style, and instead merely adopted Rihanna's "devil may care" attitude when it comes to wardrobe options and blunt, socially inappropriate tweets. She makes me smile now and I just generally love her attitude: especially the attitude which compels her to wear dope Prada brogues with a easy, breezy shirtdress and shinyyyyyy Rolex while strolling in the sweaty a** streets of New York, while generally looking flawless.

A feat for many.


This off-duty look has such charm : very slouchy, unaffected, hipster as f*ck. I also love the Alexander Wang tunic she slipped into later that evening. Nothing crazypants, but an understated relaxed, cool modernity about it all.


Easy summer dressing can be hard, for fear of looking sloppy, but I think RiRi has shown that the key is good accessories and details--gold jewelry, must-have yet comfy shoes, sheer textures, compact bags, statement-making sunglasses--that can make a world of a difference.

Years later and I'm still a sucker for her!

2 comments:

  1. You did indeed put other RiRi stans to shame, and you looked fabulous while doing it. But YAY for style evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Style evolution is paramount, but I would still grab a drink with that girl any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete