Tuesday, June 28, 2011

SNAP judgements: BET Awards Edition

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even watch the proverbial sh*t show that was the 2011 BET Awards, so I may not really have a leg stand on this time around. I was wrapped up in episodes of "True Blood" and "Game of Thrones", and a frozen pizza, but from the looks of things, I didn't miss much.

A few ill-executed tributes to the greats that everyone should be ashamed of, a few emotional Chris Brown moments, a few plugs for Beyonce's new album: same as it ever was.

However, the fashions did create cause for extreme worry. After flipping through a few pics of red carpet turns, I had to ask: Where do ghetto proms stop and the BET Awards start? Like, where is that fine line?


I don't even like using the word "ghetto" to describe a person, place, or time, but I've been rendered speechless...and it's mostly Meagan Good's fault (see below).


Was she even nominated for something!? Or was it Ashanti's fault? At this point, they both owe me an apology for this offense. The only thing missing was a damn corsage. 


And I know what you're thinking: "They're young. They're susceptible to mistakes of this nature." Ha! Then what's Mary's excuse?! She knows damn well she is too old for these types of slip ups. A gold wig and a bandage dress? Is she trying to make me yell at an old woman?!


I mean seriously, ladies: are we really reinventing the wheel with the bandage dress and heels go-to phenomenon? I'd say not. Let's try harder next time, shall we?! And Tika Sumpter (below): I still don't know who you are nor why I should care.

My gravest concerns kind of lies with Nicki Minaj, however, because I'm really just gonna have to let her go. Never as a talent, because she's a beast on the mic, but stylistically I believe she's convinced everyday is a West Indian parade...and that's just gotta' stop. Case in point...


"Basketball Wives" Tami Roman rolled up in a dress straight from her fourteen year old's closet....


And even Idris Elba (Yes! That IDRIS!) hurt my feelings with those two-toned brogues and church suit. It seemed so out of character...I mean, just yesterday I was touting his Pitti Uomo appearance, and now?  I shudder.


But leave it to my doppelganger, Kerry Washington, to get it right. Kerry showed up on Sunday night, wide awake, and ready to stunt. And that she did in Michael Kors....


I was also blown away by Nia Long's pregnant glowwwww. Like, what kind of pre-natal vitamins is she on?! She stole the show from women still taking birth control.


My staple style icon, Tracee Ellis Ross, showed up in an Alaia dress she bought in high school, "which is a totally important designer" mind you, but I don't buy it. My girl looks really...young. Her body is on point, but it's like The Emperor's Clothes: I just gotta say it! She's wearing a bandage dress and heels, so ostensibly she's in the wrong--a place she's never been. So I remain conflicted...


Alicia Keys rolled up in a chic but relaxed look that I actually liked--and I never like what Ms. Keys has on. People were being incredibly unfair about her baby weight, but I'm like,"At least she has an excuse...what's Amber Rose's?!"


I would have so much more respect for this girl if she had gone off and gotten with a Wall Street magnet post-Kanye. It would have proved she learned something through the course of that relationship. But Wiz Khalifa and a jumpsuit?! Both two bad decisions on her part.


But my favorite appearance is the cameo pulled by Little Miss. Sunshine, Rihanna. Girl didn't even hit the show--just the after parties in Alexander Wang and a Nancy Gonzalez clutch. It's like, cut the middle man out and let's drink. A girl after my own heart.






2 comments:

  1. Amber's double offense is actually a triple. Being seen in public with Wiz K, when he looks like that is travesty in and of itself.

    And everyone...I agree. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber is such an interesting study, as she seemingly played her cards right at first, creating a sense of awe and mystery around her. Was she black? Was she white? Was she gay? Was she bi? Curious?

    But she ultimately bit the hand that fed her. Instead of an ELLE spread, she's on the cover of KING ::side-eye:: It's called a "tumble from grace", and she's seemingly tripped on those Versace platforms.

    ReplyDelete