Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Turbans? Not on the A train on a Tuesday.

Little known fact about me: I suffer mercilessly from a little ol' psychological phenom called social reactance, a condition that quite literally flips on a switch in my head and forces me to rebel against the pressures of society's tastes.

I wish I was making this ish up, but it's science, ya'll. So essentially when everyone is going left, I go right. Out of spite, seemingly, but really out of a need to preserve a sense of self.

This phenom of course carries over into my wardrobe, so it's no real surprise that I arched my eyebrows at this whole turban trend that has seeped into the world of "urban fashion" via stylist, June Ambrose. The woman known for putting Missy Elliott in a trash bag is now responsible for the overwhelming trend of turbans this side of Saudi.


I mean, like I get it: I respect June's hustle and her influence, and understand she's trying to leave an impression, a little legacy on our generation of the fashion-forward. She's marketing a sense, a piece of herself, which is all very mired in Marxist politics--which I love--but I remain conflicted.

I think turbans too obvious a trend for every girl from Canarsie to Harlem to adopt and wear on a Tuesday on the A train. I think when we are inspired by someone's personal style, we should be really inspired by that individual's sense of self. Because June gets who she is, she rocks these bad boys to the bodega--because that's her.



This is not to suggest that I don't have a list of style icons I turn to, or that I don't pine over the shoes of. I mean, c'mon, I wish I could raid the closets of Kate Bosworth, Tracee Ellis Ross, Isabel Marant, Shala Monroque, and RiRi any given day, but you gotta take away what ultimately works for you, and what's going to set you apart. One's personal style is a powerful message of individuality and if it reads like everyone else's, you lose that certain je ne sais quois.

Ya feel me?

So let's all go back to the drawing board on this one, and adopt markers of our own. Of course, I won't be sharing mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment